Thursday, June 3, 2010

Biscuits

Butter is dairy.  Shortening / Crisco is soy.  Bisquick is soy.  So what now for a biscuit lover?  Bacon fat. I trim some of the extra before cooking my bacon.  Yes, I recognize the irony. 

1/2 c bacon fat trimmings

2 c flour
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2t baking powder

1/4 c vinegar
1/4 c rice milk

Pulse the bacon fat in the food processor with the chopping attachment.  Make it into a pulp, scraping down as needed.  Switch to the plastic pastry attachment, add the dry ingredients, and pulse until you have even crumbs.  Add the wet ingredients.  Run until it pulls away from the edge of the bowl into a ball.  Run 30 seconds more to make a nice elastic dough.  Roll out on a lightly floured counter.  Cut into biscuits (I just use a plastic cup).  Bake at 450 for 12-15 minutes. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Em Gee!! I've been throwing my bacon fat away. I'm a dope. You're the best!!

    ReplyDelete